If you’re looking for bear names, you’ve come to the right place! Our bear names generator has hundreds of great ideas.
Choose a gender and click generate!
Want to save your favorites?
Just click the star to save the name to your list up in the right-hand corner.
Click above to generate some names
More Bear Name Ideas
Want to browse through our favorite bear name ideas?
We have 235+ unique options to explore, separated into categories like cute bear names, funny bear names, and a list of famous bears.
There are many reasons why you may be searching for names. Maybe you’ve sponsored a cub. Or you’re looking for teddy bear names. Or you need inspiration for a story you’re writing.
No matter why you’re looking for a bear name, this list will help you find the perfect one.
Cute Bear Names
A bear is an adorable animal with their round face, upright ears, furry coat, and button nose, especially when they’re a tiny cub or a cute teddy bear.
Ultimately, a cute creature may need a name that matches their sweet appearance, and we have plenty of ideas that fit the bill.
These cute teddy bear names are charming, fun, and sure to delight. Take a look and see if any might be right for you.
Cute Female Bear Names
- Bell (Belle)
- Blue (Blu)
- Chloe (Khloe)
- Coco (Cocoa)
- Maisie (Maisy)
- Zoe (Zoey)
Cute Male Bear Names
- Blue (Blu)
- Caesar (Ceasar)
- Coco (Cocoa)
- Louie (Lou)
- Marley (Marly)
- Teddy (Ted)
Funny Bear Names
Everyone needs a good laugh. So why not give a bear a funny name that is sure to make people laugh out loud?
Our funny bear names come from puns, silly characters, and so much more.
These names are great if you want something funny for your bear!
- Bear Minimum
- Bear With Me
- Beary Potter
- Beary White
- Boo Boo
- Fuzzy Wuzzy
- Grin and Bear It
- Little John
Tough Bear Names
Don’t be fooled by that face. Bears are among the toughest animals on the planet.
Well-developed for survival, bears are adept at hunting for food, traveling rugged terrains, and defending against predators.
With an incredibly muscular build, these creatures boast enormous strength. And don’t mess with their ferocious claws and razor-sharp teeth.
In summary: Bears are tough!
Want a tough name for a tough bear? Here’s the list for you!
Tough Male Bear Names
- Ajax – a hero in Greek mythology who held off the Trojan army.
- Ares – The Greek god of war was certainly a badass.
- Ammo – Short for ammunition, Ammo is a strong, tough name.
- Axel – The name Axel just sounds badass, doesn’t it?
- Bane – With a mix of brute strength and exceptional intelligence, Bane is a super villain adversary of Batman. Of all the tough names, this one might just be the most unique.
- Beast – A big and burly name for a tough bear.
- Blaze – When it comes to tough bear names, this shines the brightest.
- Blitz – Defined as “an overwhelming all-out attack,” Blitz is a great option if you’re looking for a sharp and strong bear name.
- Boss – Tough bear names don’t get much cooler than this.
- Bruiser – A brawny, tough name that might just be right for a bear.
- Brutus – Brutus is another tough name.
- Butch – Butch certainly sounds like a strong, cool moniker for a bear.
- Dagger – As in the short, swordlike weapon with a pointed blade.
- Danger – A super cool sounding ideas.
- Diesel – A strong name but not outwardly aggressive.
- Duke – Like John Wayne
- Fang – This is another great name that sounds cool and cutting – no pun intended.
- Goliath – As in the giant from the Bible.
- Hades – In Greek mythology, the name of both the underworld and the god who guarded it.
- Hercules – The divine hero from Greek mythology
- Hulk – The giant green superhero from the Marvel comics.
- King – No one messes with the King.
- Maverick – Defined as “a person pursuing rebellious, even potentially disruptive, policies or ideas.”
- Nitro – Short for Nitroglycerin, the highly explosive chemical.
- Pyro – Short for pyromaniac.
- Rambo – As in the famous Sylvester Stallone character.
- Riptide – A tide that opposes other tides, causing a violent disturbance in the sea.
- Rocky – Inspired by Rocky Balboa, another tough Sylvester Stallone character.
- Rogue – This name is especially popular following the release of Rogue One.
- Samson – Strong man from the Bible
- Sarge – The informal version of Sargent.
- Spike – This name is another one that’s both cute and badass.
- Tank – Tank just sounds like a cool name, doesn’t it?
- T-Bone – Same with T-Bone. It just seems badass.
- Titan – Titan has many definitions, including an ancient Greek deity and a person of enormous size, strength and influence.
- Thor – As in the Marvel superhero.
- Vader – the villain from Star Wars
- Viper – A tough, stinging name for your bear.
Tough Female Bear Names
- Arya – badass assassin from Game of Thrones
- Athena – The Greek goddess of wisdom and war.
- Attila – As in Attila the Hun, the brutal ruler.
- Cersei – If you’re a Game of Thrones fan, you certainly know that Cersei is quite the badass.
- Daenerys – Another Game of Thrones character, Daenerys is gorgeous, strong and brave.
- Diva – If your dog has a bit of attitude, this is a great name.
- Elektra – Inspired by the Marvel character.
- Gamora – Another tough and talented female character in the Marvel comics.
- Harley – Whether it’s inspired by Harley Quinn, the DC Comics supervillain, or Harley-Davidson, the motorcycle manufacturer, Harley is a name with just the right amount of edge.
- Hera – A Greek goddess with a mean streak.
- Huntress – The female version of Hunter.
- Jinx – If you’re looking for badass dog names for your girl pup, this is unique and edgy all at the same time.
- Justice – Doesn’t this name just sound badass?
- Leia – No one doubts the power and courage of Princess Leia from Star Wars.
- Medusa – A monster described as a winged human female with living venomous snakes in place of hair.
- Mystique – The blue, shape-shifting baddie from X-Men.
- Queenie – A fun and sassy name.
- Raven – A gorgeous and strong name that’s perfect for a dark-colored furbaby.
- Rebel – Defined as a person who resists authority, Rebel is one badass dog name.
- Ripley – Inspired by Sigourney Weaver’s character in the Alien franchise.
- Sable – This name just sounds cool.
- Sassy – A name with a whole lot of attitude.
- Sheba – Inspired by the Queen of Sheba.
- Starbuck – As in the badass character from Battlestar Galactica.
- Trinity – A strong-sounding name for a female dog.
- Ursula – Let’s face it: Ursula, the villain from The Little Mermaid, is quite a baddie.
- Vixen – Defined as both an attractive woman and a quarrelsome lady. Either way, it’s pretty badass.
- Xena – As in Xena: Warrior Princess.
Bears have been part of entertainment for centuries, and today they’re still a popular fixture in all sorts of mediums.
Cartoons are an especially popular place to spot a bear character.
Just stop for a moment and think about the first famous bear that comes to mind. You’ll likely remember at least a few!
And for even more choices, here is a collection of famous bears from books, tv, movies and video games.
- Baby Bear – Sesame Street
- Baloo – The Jungle Book
- Banjo – Banjo-Kazooie videogame
- Ben – The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
- Bobo – Mr. Burns’ teddy bear from The Simpsons and bear from Muppets Tonight
- Boo Boo – From The Yogi Bear Show
- Boog – Open Season
- Cheer – Cheer Bear from the Care Bears
- Cindy Bear – The Yogi Bear Show, Yogi’s girlfriend
- Clark – Mascot of the Chicago Cubs
- Corduroy – From the children’s story of the same name
- Ewok – Star Wars bear
- Fozzie Bear – The Muppets
- Gentle Ben – Story about a bear and his tame bear
- Golden Bear – Nickname of golfer Jack Nicklaus
- Gummi Bear – Famous treats!
- Jazz Bear – Mascot of the Utah Jazz
- Kevin – Zootopia, Mr. Big’s henchman
- Kit Cloudkicker – Talespin
- Kuma – Tekken videogame
- Lil Jon – Walt Disney’s Robin Hood
- Luk – Balto
- Maxie – White polar bear from Chilly Willy
- Oxsana – Borat
- Paddington Bear – From the children’s book
- Peter the Panda – Phineas and Ferb
- Pooky – Garfield’s bear
- Master Po Ping – Kung Fu Panda
- Queen Elinor – Brave
- Smokey – Fire prevention mascot
- Snuggle – Fabric softener mascot bear
- Sonya – Madagascar 3
- Squishy Bearz – Eek! The Cat
- TC – Mascot of the Minnesota Twins
- Ted – Talking teddy bear from the movie Ted
- Teddy Ruxpin – First talking toy
- Tenderheart – From Care Bears
- Tim the Bear – The Cleveland Show
- Winnie-the-Pooh – from the children’s story & cartoon
- Yogi Bear – Bear who loves stealing picnic baskets from The Yogi Bear Show
Names That Mean Bear
As you hunt for ideas, another place to look for inspiration includes words and names that reflect this fantastic animal.
The following names mean bear in different languages or have ‘bear’ as a root meaning.
Strong and distinct, these names are a great way to recognize the species uniquely.
- Arktos – Greek word for bear
- Arthur – Welsh and Celtic word that means strong as a bear
- Asbjorn – Norse name meaning divine bear
- Bernard – Derived from the Germanic bern for bear combined with hard/brave/hardy
- Bernie – Short for Bernard (listed above)
- Bjorn – Derived from Old Norse name meaning bear
- Duroj – Albanian word for bear
- Humphrey – Means peaceful warrior from Germanic hun “warrior/bear cub” and frid “peace”
- Nita – Bear in Choctaw
- Orson – Bear cub in French
- Tarben – Means thunder bear or Thor’s bear
- Ursala – Latin meaning little she-bear
- Ursus – Roman name meaning bear