Lion Name Generator
If you’re in search of an awesome name, our lion name generator has hundreds of suggestions!
To get started, choose a gender and tap generate. Then, if you see an idea, you like click the star to save it to your list.
Click above to generate some names
More Lion Names
In addition to the options in the lion name generator, we’ve grouped some excellent ideas for lion names into categories and listed them out below.
These ideas are great for a lion, lioness, lion cub, or even a stuffed lion toy!
Top Lion Names
Lions are amazing creatures and deserve a great name. We’ve gathered the most popular lion names into two lists, one for males and the other for females.
Male Lion Names
Female Lioness Names
Cool Lion Names
Lions are one of the most extraordinary animals around. They’re tough, massive, and near the top of the food chain. So these cool lion names are sure to be a great fit.
Famous Lion Names
Lions have appeared in many different movies, tv shows, cartoons, and books. We’ve gathered up some of the most famous lion names from these sources and more.
- Alex – Madagascar
- Aslan – The Chronicles of Narnia
- Brave Heart Lion – Care Bears
- Chris – Wild Kratts
- Claudus – ThunderCats, Lion-O’s father
- Cowardly Lion – The Wizard of Oz
- Elsa – Lioness from the movie Born Free
- Fred – Super Chicken
- Jad-bal-ja – Golden Lion from the Tarzan novels
- Kiara – Lion King II
- Kion – The Lion Guard
- Kimba – Kimba the White Lion
- King Richard – Robin Hood animated film
- Kovu – Lion King II
- Lambert – Lambert the Sheepish Lion
- Larry – Father of the Pride
- Leo – MGM Films mascot and also a Zodiac sign
- Leomon – Digimon Tamers
- Leonore Lionheart – Zootopia
- Lion-O – Leader of the ThunderCats
- Lippy – Lippy the Lion & Hardy Har Har
- Martin – Wild Kratts
- Mufasa – The Lion King, Simba’s father
- Nala – Lioness heroine in The Lion King
- Nuka – Lion King II
- Prince John – Robin Hood animated film
- Samson – The Wild
- Sarabi – The Lion King
- Scar – Villain from The Lion King
- Simba – Main charater in The Lion King
- Snagglepuss – Yogi’s Great Escape
- Socrates – Animals United
- Zuba – Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Funny Lion Names
If you want a good laugh to go with your options, check out these funny and punny lion name ideas. We’re the first to admit that they’re pretty silly but a ton of fun.
- Bing Clawsby
- Cat Damon
- Cat Stevens
- Cindy Clawford
- Dali Clawma
- Gucci Mane
- Hairy Pawter
- Jane Pawsten
- Jude Paw
- Lionel Messi
- Lionel Richie
- Luke Skywhisker
- Pawdrey Hepburn
- Paw Revere
- Rory McIlroy
- Santa Claws
- The Great Catsby
- Theodore Roarsevelt
- William Shakespaw
King Lion Names
The lion is known as the king of the jungle for a good reason. We’ve rounded up some royal lion names to suit a king, queen, or other animal royalty to fit with this theme.
- Charlemagne – Charles the Great, King of the Franks
- Elisabeth – Queen Elisabeth
- Henry – Henry VIII the king of England
- Kimi – “noble”
- Louis – King Louis XIV of France
- Macbeth – King of Scots
- Otto – the Holy Roman Emperor and German King
- Victoria – longest-reigning monarch of England
Cute Lion Names
Lions can be fearsome creatures, but you’ll know that they’re also pretty darn cute if you’ve ever seen a lion cub. So these name ideas are downright adorable.
African Lion Names
Africa is the native home to many lions, and these names reflect that culture. They are taken from African countries, locations, and words with definitions.
- Akeen – “brave”
- Djembe – West African drum
- Jabari – femine name meaning one who is brave
- Kalahari – desert
- Kamikazi – “queen”
- Lelie – Afrikaans for Lily
- Namibia – African country
- Rudo – “love”
- Rufaro – “joy”
- Sabal – “person with strength”
- Sikara – “brave one”
- Sudan – African country
- Tandi – “fire”
- Zahara – Swahili for flower
- Zarina – “gold”
- Zuri – “beautiful”
Hopefully, you’ve found an excellent name for your lion or have narrowed your choices down to a few great options.
After you’ve found the perfect lion name, you might also enjoy these generators:
Tips for Choosing the Right Name
If you need some help choosing a name from a list of favorites, these tips might do the trick:
- How does it sound out loud? If you’re going to be using the name for a real lion, stuffed lion or lion character you might be saying the name out loud. Try it out and see how it feels and sounds.
- Does it fit your lion? Some names seem like good choices but when you compare it to the lion you’ll be naming it might not feel like the right fit.
- Trust your gut. Finally, we always recommend trusting your instincts when picking a name. The best name will often just feel right deep down.